Francesca's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

Nov 22, 2011

it was ok
Read on January 05, 2015

I put off reading this for a long time, probably since it first came out actually. I think the premise is a bit kooky and the characters are silly.

Day is Locke Lamora/Tris Prior/Katniss Everdeen etc. Nothing original. He's unbelievable as a 15 year old, his name is a bit silly and although his personality is admirable and appealing, his antics are a bit ridiculous. June is an empty shell. Her intro is rushed right through and the characters in her life are completely one-dimensional cardboard cutouts that are far too familiar.

I liked them as people. But the overall conspiracy theory and "special abilities" is old and tired. I whipped through this book in about 3 hours which is always a plus, it was very action-packed with barely a line to spare on whimsy or background detail. However, just a little tease would have been a vast improvement. We finished knowing nothing at all, people we don't know were killed and we're supposed to feel sad? Day was chosen for something but we don't really know why or what for. And the Patriots vs the whoever else is just dull to me. I think if you want to do a dystopian it needs to be something completely different, not the remaining threads of the world we already know.

The sequel seems to have more consistent good reviews so I will probably pick it up just to see. There is clearly potential here, it just didn't work out so well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

12/05/2014 marked as: to-read