Fangs for the Fantasy's Reviews > Kitty Takes a Holiday

Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn

Nov 22, 11

Read in November, 2011

After the dramas of Kitty Goes to Washington, including her own kidnapping, Kitty needs a break. In fact she needs a holiday.

So her show is on hold, much of her life in fact, while she takes stock, finds some peace and writes a book of her memoirs (now in much demand after the dramas she’s lived through).

Of course, few things are ever that simple. Especially with curse wielding locals who are not happy to see a werewolf move into the area, unhelpful police and a campaign of intimidation from her magically capable neighbours.

Cormac and Ben show back up to see her – but it’s not a social call. One of Cormac’s jobs has gone badly wrong – Ben has been bitten by a werewolf and Kitty has to introduce him to his new life as well as herself deal with being part of a pack again. And if that wasn’t enough, the threat that Cormac hunted has followed him back to kitty – and they’re faced with the dual problems of supernatural menace and legal consequences hanging over them

And she has to analyse her own motives – is she taking a holiday? Or has she quit entirely? And not just her job, but her humanity – running off to the wilderness and succumbing more to her wolf.

This was an interesting book with a lot happening. In the past with this series I’ve felt likethere was too much happening in a book, too many storylines squeezed into onebook and none of them given sufficient attention. I didn’t exactly get that feeling here, I think every story got decently developed, but I did feel like we had several stories running that were only tangentially related. They were all connected, but it felt like 4 very short books running one after another. Kitty and her Career Woes. Kitty and her Neighbours, Kitty and Ben the New Werewolf, Kitty and the Skin Walker, Kitty and the Legal Fight to Save Cormac. We seemed to go from one story to the next and each story was such a break from the last that it felt like a short series. It’s not a style I particularly like, in the same way I’m not a lover of short stories. It makes me feel like the author didn’t quite know which story she wanted to tell.

I did love the development of ben into becoming a werewolf. It shows a lot more the difficulties of the transition, the trouble Ben faces and adapting to a whole new set of instincts that have suddenly been dumped into your brain. I like Kitty’s growing pack dynamics and her assumption of an alpha role and even their deepening and developing relationship together (I like this relationship much more than I did the potential relationship between Kitty and Cormac). All in all, it’s a great storyline and I hope to see more of it and more development. It actually serves as a better world building than any amount of lectures or personal naval gazing.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty Takes a Holiday.