Minna's Reviews > This Is Gonna Hurt: Music, Photography, And Life Through The Distorted Lens Of Nikki Sixx

This Is Gonna Hurt by Nikki Sixx

Feb 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from February 27 to 28, 2012

Well, the book was inspirational, I guess. I liked Heroin Diaries better though: it was more raw, and more personal. This Is Gonna Hurt was more a few nuggets of truly inspirational words, thoughts, and feelings intermixed with overdramatic photography and self-indulgent, cliched rambling. Many reviewers liked the photography, and there WERE some very good photographs. The rest of the pictures, honestly, seemed like pictures that Nikki took to be "Art" - capital A - and then processed to the hilt. The kind of pictures that you show off so others think you're a Big Artist and so they know you are full of pretentious Deep Arty Thoughts. Actually, much like the lyrics and the personal stories, they seem engineered for shock value which does fit in with Nikki Sixx's self-professed M.O..

To be honest, if he wasn't going to talk about his kids or his love life (which I can respect), there's not a TON to cover in a book that Heroin Diaries didn't already cover. Which was why I enjoyed the diary entries from the 2009 Motley Crue tour, and the bits about his song-writing and the formation of the Sixx:AM band. So even though I found a lot of the book overdramatic and full of cliches, I would still give it three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is Gonna Hurt.