Brandy's Reviews > A Scandalous Past

A Scandalous Past by Ava Stone

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011, kindle-freebie
Read from November 22 to 23, 2011

Cordelia Avery is looking for a way out of her family situation. Brendan Reese, Earl of Clayworth, is looking for some missing letters. They both find more than they bargained for when those searches bring them together.

This was a terrific find as a Kindle freebie on Amazon. I usually don't pick up freebies that are part of a series I haven't read simply because I hate picking up a book in the middle when I haven't read the preceding books. Even though A Scandalous Past is the fourth in a series, I thought a regency romance might not be as dependent on previous stories as other types of series can be, and I was thankfully correct in this case. I could tell that certain side characters were probably the focus in the earlier books, but I never felt like I was missing something from the story between Cordie and Brendan.

Cordelia's mom is a real something or other, and I kind of wish we had more insight into what made her that way. That story could probably make for an interesting novel on its own. Ava Stone did an incredible job making me care about Cordelia and understand Brendan's fury when he discovers how Cordelia has been treated. As in most romances, there are some misunderstandings that could have been easily removed if the hero and heroine would just talk to each other, but in this novel, I felt like I had much more understanding of why things weren't said. The character motivations felt authentic, and I was so happy to be along for the ride with them.

I do hope we hear more about Haversham, the rake who first catches Cordelia's attention. Now I'm off to buy everything else Ava Stone has written. I was happily surprised to find that Ava Stone is a pseudonym for half the writing team behind the Lydia Dare pseudonym, another favorite of mine.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scandalous Past.