Keri Lake's Reviews > City of Hell Chronicles: Volume 1

City of Hell Chronicles by Victoria Griesdoorn

Jan 02, 2012

When you think a book wouldn't go there...this one just did.

City of Hell is an anthology comprised of 8 stories written by 7 international authors. Each chronicles the experiences of the few survivors following the rise of the Great Maurr and the enslavement of the human species. Genesis is the first story, introducing retired clockmaker, Franklin Garrett, a bitter man and widower, who serves as the catalyst toward the destruction of humanity. All hell breaks loose afterward.

I made the mistake of reading this book just before bedtime. I'll warn you, it's not for the faint of heart. Nightmares are a side effect and you will be inclined to make multiple sweeps under the bed with a flashlight.

The story is incredibly fast-paced, in spite of the separate stories. Every time I thought I'd 'just finish this part and take a break', I found myself unable to put it down. There is that one scene, so horrific, in each story that just sticks with the reader.

If you've got a strong stomach and are scouting for a grim and grisly tale, I highly recommend this book. City of Hell is a collection that horror fans will want to sink their mandibles into. Looking forward to what Volume 2 brings.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Hell Chronicles.