Tee loves Kyle Jacobson's Reviews > Getting Over Garrett Delaney

Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald

Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books
Read in February, 2012

A big thank you to Abby McDonald and Heather Wilks-Jones for sending me a copy of this book. From the moment I saw this book cover on good-reads I knew I had to read it. I am so HAPPY I got that chance. This is one of those books you can't down once you start reading it. It is like a train wreck you can't look away, you want to but you just can't. This is how Sadie is with Garrett.

Lord this book had me laughing one minute and crying the next. Poor Sadie is in love with Garrett and he has no idea. He is so clueless I wondered at times if he knew and was just playing games to keep her right next to him as a toy. It is the end of the school year and Sadie and Garrett are going to start the summer off right because they are going to go for six weeks to a writers camp. Only there is one problem Sadie does not get accepted into the camp and Garrett is going by himself. What is a girl to do with herself for six weeks when they have never been separated from each other for the past two years.

Well Sadie has to get a job because her mother has told her you get a job or you work for me and Sadie is like heck no I will find a job. She does find a job at the local coffee shop where her and Garrett love to go for coffee. Once she starts her job she realizes that Garrett is acting weird so she asks him what's wrong and he says Sadie I found true love. Sadie is devastated because she was so sure this was going to be the moment he professes his love and he does but just not to her. She is so devastated that she decides she needs to detox from Garrett.

So with the help of her new friends at the coffee shop she starts to detox from Garrett so much so that when six weeks ends and Garrett comes home he does not recognize her. At first she tries to ignore him but she just can't stay away from him so she decides to go out with him a few times. Then he decides to give her a surprise date. Sadie is so excited she can't believe it this could be it where Garrett gets his act together and they will get their happily ever after. Well no spoilers from me because this is the best part of the book so you will have to go and read it for your self.

I interviewed Abby for this book because I loved it so. Read on to see what she says and trust me this is a MUST READ BOOK FOR 2012!

I also think the song Last Kiss By Taylor Swift sums up their relationship. So here is the video enjoy!

First of all tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm 26, a British transplant living in LA, author of six contemporary novels for teens and adults. I love trashy action movies, old WB teen shows circa 1999-2005, and country music. Oh, and I'm allergic to chocolate.

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Ever since I was in school, but back then, I thought you had to be old and experienced in order to write. Then, when I was 19, I started writing my first novel, just for fun. I wound up getting an agent for it, and never looked back! (Especially not at that first book, which still languishes in a deep, dark place on my hard drive where it belongs.)

Your novel is soon to be released, how do you feel about that?

Excited! No matter how many books I have published, I still feel the nerves of a new release. What if people don't like it? What if they're disappointed? What if it gets banned? OK, well, I actually hope for that last one. I would be honored.

Was there any inspiration for Sadie or Garrett?

Oh boy. The disclaimer on the front says that all characters and events are fictional, but, well.... Let's just say they were heavily inspired by my sixteen year-old self, and a certain male BFF I had at the time! But the thing that made it so much fun to write is that the concept is so relatable: everyone knows what it's like to have an unrequited crush, so we all feel Sadie's pain as she struggles to free herself from the clutches of love!

Have you ever been in love with one of your best friends and not told him?

Ahem. See above. I wouldn't say love, but I certainly had feelings for them.

Have you ever been heart broken? How did you deal with it?

Yes. If not broken, then thoroughly bruised. I dealt with it the way we all do, I suppose: lots of crying, listening to plaintive music, eating too much chocolate (which for me triggers migraines, so, that made the whole experience even more fun). I wish I'd had Sadie's determination and 12-step plan, rather than wallowing around for months in misery!

Please tell us readers 7 random things about yourself?

Hmmm.... I'm left-handed. I can't whistle. I wear contact lenses, because I'm incredibly short-sighted. I hate flying - which is problematic when you live half a world away from home. I'm excellent with navigation and maps (I mis-typed that as 'naps' to begin with, but I'm also excellent with those too). I went on a pilgrimage with my BFF to the real-life Star's Hollow in Connecticut (a charming town called Washington Depot). And finally, I lived a year in Montreal when I was 23, until winter came, and I fled.

Thank you for taking the time out to answer the questions!
Tee@adiaryofabookaddict.blogspot.com
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Over Garrett Delaney.

Resti  Triyuliandha agree,,,

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson I can not wait to read this book! Total EPIC read!

Stormy I loved this one too.

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson Stormy I needed some more Josh though. I just loved him through the book and Garrett was an egotistical A$$hole!

Stormy Oh, I know! I couldn't stand Garrett! I thought he was nice at first but once he left the truth came out about how he treated people and he overlooked her all that time and molded her into someone she wasn't. Ugh. I was so happy when she told him off and then Josh came for her. I swear I was dancing around the room in happiness. LOL

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson Storny OMG I needed some more of Josh because when he was talking to Sadie in the kitchen asking her about the concert her liked her then but was real nervous about talking to her. She was so dang crazy with Garrett but in the end she saw him for what he was and that was a LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!

I know a girl who is just like Sadie and she follows that idiot around and she will do anything for him and he is not interested in her and she keeps telling us that one day he will come around. I told her look I love you and all we have known each other for 37 years but GET THE HELL OVER HIM CUZ HE DON"T WANT YOU!

Lord one day I hope it sinks in :) I even gave her the book to read so lets hope it is her inspiration.

Stormy I know a lot of girls like that, too. I've almost become one once. It just makes me sad.

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson I hear ya. I once liked this guy so much I was willing to do anything but then my cousins who are like my brothers stepped in and said hell no. If you need to change for him he is not worth it. I am grateful for them stepping in because I could have gotten real hurt emotionally by him. Still to this day he is such a player and he makes me sick to look at because girls just fall for him and his crud

Stormy Yeah, that's the reason I loved this book so much! :) Every teenage girl should read it, I think.

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson yes they should because they will learn that they need to have some good self esteem about themselves and love themselves first before they can love anybody.

Stormy YEP! :)