Chantaal's Reviews > Hushed

Hushed by Kelley York

Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, lgbt, thriller
Read from December 28 to 31, 2011

Review also posted at The Wandering Fangirl.

First off, I have to say that this book is definitely not for everyone. There are some heavy themes involved, and it reminds me a lot of the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay, simply because we focus on Archer, who is something very close to a sociopath, but so sympathetic that it makes the book work.

What makes Hushed work so well is how Kelley York works through not only Archer dealing with being a monster and a killer, but explaining how his extremely toxic, co-dependent relationship with Vivian works. Everything Archer does or has done is explained and while it's never justified, we still understand.

Then Evan comes along just as Archer's relationship with Vivian (who jumps from bad boyfriend to bad boyfriend) starts to unravel, and the addition of someone new in his life brings a whole new level to the novel. The romance here is fantastic, as we see it entirely from Archer's perspective; Archer, who's never known someone who simply wants to be with him, wants to know him, doesn't want anything but his company. The development of the relationship juxtaposed with the pain of his and Vivian's friendship coming apart is fantastic.

I recommend Hushed for anyone who might find it interesting, but with the warning that it's a very either/or sort of novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hushed.

12/28/2011 page 56