~Tina~'s Reviews > The Kill Order

The Kill Order by James Dashner

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-e-galley, arc, apocalyptic-dystopian, young-adult, sci-fi, read-2012
Read from July 19 to 23, 2012

The Kill Order is the much anticipated prequel to The Maze Runner series by the incredible James Dashner.
I can't even begin to express how badly I wanted this book. Dashner is one of my all time favorite authors. He's the reason I found my love for post-apocalyptic/dystopic books which provoked me to want to read more in this genre.

This installment takes place thirteen years prior to the initial time setting of the series, which was before Thomas and the Glade, and even before WICKED was created. We follow new characters, Mark and Alec and a group of teenagers battling to survive the aftermath of the Sun Flares. To add more to their already difficult lives, one day a Berg comes out of nowhere and starts shooting darts, killing and effecting everything in its path.
The Flare Virus.
Mark, Alec and a couple of the remaining survivors hunt down where the Berg came from, to demand answers as to why these people are spreading a virus when the world is already in horrendous devastation. During their journey they see how the virus is affecting people and all the different reactions it causes - from graphic brutalized pain to bizarre hallucinations. Along the way, they do manage to rescue a little girl named Deedee, who miraculously seems to be immune.
This is where it all begins...

Wow! What a prequel! This book is a roller-coaster of non-stop action and heart pounding desperation. I'll admit, I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I found out that a prequel was in the works. I was a bit nervous to read about new characters knowing their inevitable fate. But leave it to Dashner to have me totally consumed by Mark and Alec's journey. Dashner doesn't hold back. This book is filled with thick agony, madness and the twisted minds of unhinged people. I couldn't help feeling so sickened by all the sadness and furious about the unnecessary tactics that caused these people so much grief and despair. A part of me kind of wished that Dashner would have written about Thomas and Teresa or even Newt and Minho. What they meant to WICKED, how they contributed to the plans and life for them before the Glade.
The Maze Runner had one constant. Hope. It's what drove the readers to battle it out till the very last book. But for The Kill Order, it felt very fatal, very final. In the end, I'm glad that Dashner decided to share this story. It may feel hopeless, but it wasn't pointless by any means. This is a story for fans who are curious to know why WICKED was born. Why it was good. It's the birth of the Flare Virus and where we learn that certain characters played a vital role in the protection of others.

Overall, there is no happy ending, but fans of The Maze trilogy already know that, so it’s no surprise. This was a heart breaking and terrifying glimpse into a world that has been utterly destroyed. But it's also a story about fighting for humanity and survival till the bitter end.

So, with a heavy heart, I'm finally able to let this series go. It's been a fascinating and thrilling adventure.
Fans of The Maze Runner trilogy are going to want to experience this prequel because it's a definite gem for their collection!

I can't wait to see what James Dashner has planned next!

(Arc provided by Netgalley and Random House Children's Books)

This review and more can be seen at:

winter haven books

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kill Order.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new)

Crystal I requested this one for for you today =) Cross your fingers we get it!

~Tina~ Man! GR is messing me up. I never see any of my notifications:(
Yay's! I'm glad you requested it!!:D

message 3: by Braiden (new) - added it

Braiden I didn’t have luck getting approved :( Though it’s on preorder so that’s good enough hah!

~Tina~ It'll be out before we know it:)

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam Great review Tina! I haven't read the whole Maze Runner series but I like the sound of this prequel. :)

~Tina~ Thanks Sam!:) I feel in love with Dashner's writing and funky lingo. This book was very different, but I liked the experience of knowing the why's of it all:)

message 7: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Awesome review, Tina! I need to read these books! Well, you've convinced me :)

~Tina~ I hope you enjoy them!! So much excitement!!:)

message 9: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Wonderful review Tina. I've never read The Maze Runner series. Is this what should be read first?

~Tina~ Thanks Rachel! I think you could read this first and you'd be able to understand it. But I think you'd appreciate this just a little bit more if you read the Maze Runner books first to really get the full effect of this prequel:)

message 11: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Awesome review Tina! I'm going to check this out for sure. :)

~Tina~ Thanks babe! I think you might like it. It's a bit different then the maze books;)

message 13: by Areana (new) - added it