Tocotin's Reviews > Video Night in Kathmandu and Other Reports from the Not-So-Far East

Video Night in Kathmandu and Other Reports from the Not-So-Fa... by Pico Iyer

Nov 22, 2011

bookshelves: far-east, used-books, travels, nonfiction
Read in November, 2011 — I own a copy

This was a fun book, very fast reading, even though quite dated (the 80s), about how East meets West through popculture. There was a part about Japan too, and judging by it I'd say the author has a good insight into the cultures he's writing about, for someone who doesn't speak the languages of the countries he's visited. Sure, he is a little bit too awed by the (putative) mysteriousness and perfectionism of Japan, so probably his highly poetic descriptions of other places - like Burma or Tibet - should be taken with a pinch of salt, but these are his stories, and they are well-written and emotionally engaging too.

I liked the parts about Burma, Tibet, and the Philippines the best. Oh, and now I'm sorry I didn't get "The Lady and the Monk" for 500 yen when I could, but oh well such is life, maybe next time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Video Night in Kathmandu and Other Reports from the Not-So-Far East.