Mickey Reed's Reviews > Room

Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: 2011, audio
Read from November 17 to 22, 2011, read count: 1

See full review here!

Um, wow. This book is horrifying, eye-opening, and strangely addicting. It's like that train wreck from which you can't peel your eyes away. You want to stop looking, but it's entirely impossible. This terrifying idea really sucks you in (and grosses you out quite a bit).

This novel is told from five-year-old Jack's POV. He lives in 11'x11' "Room" with "Ma" and all the objects of his world. He thinks everything on TV is fantasy and nothing exists beyond his room. He has no reason to think otherwise since his mom has taught him this. She has no reason, either, to teach him about the world because they're prisoners of "Old Nick," a man who comes in the middle of the night to bring them survival needs and Sunday Treat. He stole Ma seven years ago and locked them in a soundproof, exit-less shed in his backyard. Ma and Jack hatch a plan to leave Room, and that's where this story really picks up. Horrified yet? Goodness.

There were a few times where Jack's ideas of what was okay made me want to vomit. I understand that he didn't know better, but it's still weird to people who do. But it really was interesting to see how being cooped up in that room affected him. The whole thing was amazingly shocking. I almost don't even want to recommend it because it's so out there! It's not an enjoyable novel, but it's very intriguing and moving.

While I understand the narrating, I got really sick of five-year-old baby talk. I did enjoy the cast of narrators to make it all different. It eased the whole child narrator thing. Read and/or listen at your own risk.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.