Meagan's Reviews > The Tea Rose

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

Jun 06, 2008

bookshelves: immigration, historical-fiction, part-of-a-series, england, own, love-romance, 2008-reads, big-fat-book
Read in June, 2008

I finished this book last night and found that this morning I am still thinking about it- in a good way. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend this book to some of my friends due to the language and a few love scences that might offend.

The Tea Rose starts out by taking the reader to the east side of London in White Chapel, home of the murders by Jack the Ripper, who is terrorizing the streets when the book begins. The heroine of the novel, Fiona Finnegan, is your typical historical fiction leading lady: she's beautful, determined, ahead of her time when it comes to womens' roles in society, fearless and overcomes every obstacle put before her. Although she is rather stereotypical I enjoyed her character for the most part and my heart broke for her during different parts of the book. Through a course of events she loses almost all of her family, her home, the love of her life and is forced to flee to America where she starts a new life with the goal to avenge her Father's death. Ultimately this is a book about love and revenge.

Overall I enjoyed this book very much even if it was a little far fetched at times and may have been a little overboard for the time period. Despite these things, I really did like it and plan on reading the next book in the trilogy, The Winter Rose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tea Rose.