LeAnne's Reviews > Against the traditions

Against the traditions by Mwaura Njoroge

Mar 06, 2016

it was ok
bookshelves: africa, hiv-aids-adult, faith, young-adult-fiction
Recommended to LeAnne by: editor
Read in April, 2006

The two authors represent the conflicting cultural views of the pastor and the missionary in the story. The resulting authenticity is probably of greater value than the smoother writing and more integrated theme that might have been achieved with a single author. I would have preferred to skip the predictable frame story about the Wambui and gone straight to the historical story of the conflict over how to train young Kenyan women for adulthood.

The book is a great way to get people talking about the issues of female genital mutilation and the transference of sexual values from one generation to the next. I have seen materials on Christian circumcision camps, and I'm impressed with the efforts of modern Kenyan believers to find culturally appropriate ways of teaching young people what it means to take responsibility as an adult, including sexual responsibility in an era of HIV & AIDS. The link to HIV is only secondary as the book deals with sexual mores in Africa today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against the traditions.

03/06 marked as: read