Faye's Reviews > Girl in Translation

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

Nov 21, 11

Well. This book had me fooled. At the beginning there is a prologue that is a glimpse into the future. I basically put it aside, because I generally find prologues to be author-indulgent barriers to the real story, but about 2/3 - 3/4 of the book it was impossible to put out of mind. An incident immediately following the death of a peripheral character brought the prologue to mind and I thought that because of it, I had the whole story figured out from there. And let me tell you, this post was going to be a huge rant about how the prologue destroyed the book. Who wants to read a story that can be completely predicted, with an introspective story arch? Some, I know, but not me.

However, I got it wrong, the prologue does make sense, but we got a satisfactory ending anyway ~ not the one I (disgustedly) expected. I almost quit the book I was so convinced the author was going to let me down!

Anyway, the glimpse into the lives of these impoverished new immigrants was interesting, the plot worked out and there were some good characters in here. This book has one of the best villains, I've encountered in a while - Dog Flea Mama, aka Aunt Paula.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl in Translation.