Nichole Hurst's Reviews > Bronxwood

Bronxwood by Coe Booth

F 50x66
The sequell to Tyrell, Coe Booth continues the amazing story of a young African American male whom continues to find himself in tough situations that are out of his control. In this follow up novel, Tyrell's father is out of jail after a year, and he wants to come home and play family. Except, one thing is missing- the family. Tyrell's brother Troy is in foster care, his mother his living in a studio across town, and Tyrell has been staying with his best friend and his brothers who are involved in some risky business. Tyrell has been taking care of his mom and brother, the best way that he can. Now that his father is home, Tyrell has to step back into the place of a child, after being a man for the past year. This is not easy for him. Tyrell has to make some difficult decsions to survive.

I loved reading Tyrell and Bronxwood! These are great stories about the struggles that many young Black males face in urban neighborhoods. The diffcult situations that Tyrell faces, are relevant and real. I think many students would be able to relate to Tyrell. I would have this novel in my 7th-8th grade classroom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bronxwood.