Nancy O'Toole's Reviews > Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances

Let It Snow by John Green

Nov 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: library, contemporary-fiction, young-adult, short-fiction
Read from December 06 to 09, 2011

I normally don't read Christmas themed books, despite my love for the holiday. For one thing, they aren't usually written by authors that I normally enjoy. Secondly, they tend to be a little too sentimental for my taste. I made an exception for Let it Snow: Three Holiday Romances, a collection of three interconnected Christmas themed novellas. The reasons behind this is I am quite a fan of John Green's novels, and have been interested in checking out work by the other two authors in this anthology, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle. I found that the content was somewhat uneven, which makes me hesitate to recommend this book to others. Still, there was enough about Let it Snow that I found enjoyable that I did not regret picking it up.

For a brief review of each, check below the cut.

"The Jubilee Express" by Maureen Johnson- The anthology starts off on a strong note with Maureen Johnson's entry. The main character, Jubilee, finds her Christmas plans destroyed when her parents are humorously arrested. Instead of spending time with her boyfriend, she is sent on a train to visit her grandmother. Then it begins to snow. I think what I enjoyed the most out of "The Jubilee Express" was the protagonist. She has a great voice, and I liked the fact that she was admittedly slow on the uptake (much like me). The story might suffer a bit from being predictable, but I found it to be a quick, yet fun read with a satisfying romance. I will be picking up Maureen Johnson's other work in the future.

"A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle" by John Green- The second story also deals with the snow storm mentioned in The Jubilee Express. Here, three teenagers find themselves on a sudden quest to The Wafflehouse during the blizzard. John Green's Achilles's heel has always been the fact that he always writes about the same three characters in all of his novels (the teenage boy who's confused in someway about love, the slightly pretentious love interest, and the humorous friend who's often a minority). In most cases, this is overshadowed by his strong writing. With this entry, he really struggled to overcome this fault. Still, Green's knack for great humor can be found in this story and it can be fun to read, despite the fact that it does meander a bit. Also, when I was reading this story I began to realize the problem behind collecting three romances in one volume (at least for me). As all must have some sort of happily ever after, they begin to feel repetitive. Not Green's strongest effort but still enjoyable.

"The Patron Saint of Pigs" by Lauren Myracle- The final story in the anthology picks up the remaining strands from the first two novellas and ties them up with a new story about a girl who has recently lost love. I liked the fact that this story was less about the love story, and more about the protagonist's own personal journey, but what really bothered me was the fact that she was such an unlikable character. Her selfish, melodramatic nature had me rolling my eyes many times. Still, the story did have it's moments and it was quite easy to read. I found it more middling than bad.

Let it Snow is an interesting experiment, to tell three separate yet connected stories centered around the Christmas holiday. Although the quality depends on what novella you're reading, I found that I enjoyed it and was glad I got it from my library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let It Snow.

12/06/2011 page 29
8.0% "I don't normally read Christmas themed books but I thought I'd give this one a try as I enjoy works by John Green."
12/07/2011 page 121
34.0% "This book is made up of three novellas. Just finished the Maureen Johnson one, which has convinced me to try her other works. Now I'm going to embark on the John Green novella (which is the reason I picked up this collection in the first place)."
12/08/2011 page 215
61.0% "Just finished the John Green novella and it was kinda disappointing. It wasn't BAD, but just not what I was hoping for"
12/09/2011 page 352
100.0% "Aaand just finished the lauren Myracle story, which was kind of middling. Review for the whole anthology, coming soon."