Jesse's Reviews > The Mystery of the Yellow Room

Nov 28, 11

liked it
bookshelves: classics, thriller
Read from November 21 to 27, 2011

This book was entertaining. I'm not a huge fan of mysteries, but I did enjoy this one.

The characters where very well thought out and have a very 3 deminsional feel to them, especially the reporter Rouletabille. I also like the hint of the supernatural, which really added to the erieness for me (I realize that avid mystery readers would have seen right through that aspect, but for me it was fun).

There are two reasons that this book didn't get a higher score from me. First of all, the chapters sometimes felt a little choppy to me, as if they didn't coinside smoothly. I later realized that this book was first released as a series of stories in a magazine, and therefore must forgive this disjointedness...
However, the second reason is a bit more glaring. There is one large flaw in the solving of this mystery...without giving it away, I feel like the victim or the police should have recognized the antagonist far befor the end of the book. Perhaps for its time, it was perfectly exceptable.

All and all, a very good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mystery of the Yellow Room.