Rebecca's Reviews > Alone With the Devil: Famous Cases of a Courtroom Psychiatrist

Alone With the Devil by Ronald Markman

Jun 06, 2008

bookshelves: books-i-own
Recommended to Rebecca by: no one.
Recommended for: richard chase fans, polanski fans, charlie manson fans, students of abnormal psychology
Read in June, 2008

This book is written fairly well compared to most "serial killer gets analyzed by high profile psychologist" books.

The thing that drew me to it is that it contains the most information about Richard Chase, aka 'The Vampire of Sacramento', that I have been able to find.

In my opinion the book was worth the price just for the Chase story, as the author seems to have been on of the people to speak with Chase the most in the short time between Chases' incarceration and suicide.

There are, however, other interesting stories in the book, including a telling of the Charles Manson/Healter Skelter/Tate-LaBianca murders that involves interviews with the principles, as well as a rare later interview with Roman Polanski, after he was arrested for statutory rape many years after the murders of 1969. But the Authors take on the Charlie side of the story is basically just regurgitated fluff ala the book, Helter Skelter.

Still, all things considered, I think it's a good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alone With the Devil.