Nick Rolynd's Reviews > Lost in Time

Lost in Time by Melissa de la Cruz

Dec 09, 11

Read in November, 2011

I just picked up the Blood Bloods series over my Thanksgiving break again. I started reading it back in high school, but stopped sometime after graduation (no more library, yeah?). Anyway, I picked up copies of the four books I didn't have and gave them another read through, including this one. And, well, I did have quite a few thoughts.

What I liked:

- Oliver and Mimi: They're arc of this book was excellent, in my opinion. It highlighted how both characters had changed since the series began, and well, it was just plain interesting. I loved Mimi's thought process through the whole thing, especially how her dedication to retrieve Kingsley at any cost began to deteriorate the more time she spent with Oliver. Her slow descent (or ascent, if you will) into a more human personality was well written.

- Kingsley: In general, I like Kingsley. And this book was no exception. His stay in hell was quite a bit different than I imagined it would be, but I can't say that the surprise wasn't a good one. The way he reacts to situations has never ceased to amaze me.

What I didn't like:

- Schuyler and Jack: Where do I even begin with this one? I just...they're part in this book was just plain awful, in my opinion. Especially Schuyler. I mean, what happened to the girl from the other books? Where did she go? It was like she was exchanged for a love-sick puppy in disguise. Her characterization completely fell apart. And Jack...well, I've always been on the fence about Jack, and while he was too awful bad, I still didn't like him nearly as much in this book as the others. Something about their relationship is just not working in terms of its translation into the plot of this book. It was way overplayed. Some parts of it bordered on stereotypical.

- General Comments: I've always had a love-hate relationship with the way de la Cruz writes. While I understand that the vampires are hundreds upon hundreds of years old, the way they switch back and forth between modern grammar and antiquated speech really annoys me, especially when its in narration. It comes off as incredibly unnatural sometimes. Really, it does.

Overall, it was a decent addition to the series, but I felt it was a bit rushed in places. Especially at the end. I'm interested to see where she takes the final installment though. She may be able to pull off something spectacular with the way she has things set up. We shall see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in Time.