Gretchen's Reviews > The Rose Garden

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley

May 29, 2016

bookshelves: read-2011, read-2016
Read in November, 2011

The butterfly counts not months, but moments,
And has time enough.

Eva Ellen Ward returns to Cornwall, to the place where she vacationed as a child, to spread her sister's ashes and decide what to do next. While staying in Trelowarth House, she reconnects with her childhood friends, now grown. But she also hears other voices, and starts to see new paths that weren't there before. Hallucinations? Or are those voices from another time, just outside of her reach?

Fair warning: This is a 'read-all-at-once' book. After starting at 10:30 Sunday am, I spent the rest of the day peaking into the book, trying to stay focused on 'real life'. At 10pm I convinced myself that it better to just give in and read all the way through, and I finished, with a huge sigh of contentment in the wee hours of Monday am.

I love romantic historical fiction when it's done well. While reading I was drawing comparisons to the Time Travelers Wife, and there were a couple moments that could have come from Gabaldon's novels as well. The tone also reminded me of Rosamunde Pilcher (and I was shocked to remember that Coming Home was also set in Cornwall -- what coincidence!)

It took a bit to get started on the novel - something I've noticed in Kearsley's books. I think it's a combination of managing expectations, and grounding the present day story before letting the more fantastic elements in. (and, as usual, it's best to suspend disbelief whenever time travel is involved). But overall, a great story for vacation, or a rainy Sunday. Just make sure you don't have early plans the next morning!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rose Garden.

05/29 marked as: read