Gina - 's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: tissue-box-approved, wishlist, 3-star
Read from December 12 to 13, 2011

This book has it's positives, then it has it's negatives.

The positives of this book, that I fell in love with, was the plot line and the idea of the story.
The negatives of this book were the characters. Yet the inclusion of these characters made us want to read more, despite our constant need to want to slap them (Mary especially).

In regards to the positives. I loved this book for the originality of the story and the idea of everthing, as well as everything that happened. This only added to the drama of the story and it pulled me constantly through the book. (Started late/early at night on tuesday and finished afternoon on wednesday). The original yet new light we see the Unconsecrated (i.e Zombies) is refreshing, yet original through their looks and characteristics. This book has a lot of moments that are heart-wrenching. That tear-jerking moment/chapter end threw us home to the end of the novel and towards the final obstacle. Questions still remain from this book, but hopefully they will be answered within the next novel. These questions are the real cliffhanger that his book holds at it's final pages. We want to find answers and we want to be able to then think back to this novel and understand why most of the things happened the way that they did. Everything that happens in the plot-line was intriguing and I loved it. It kept me hooked.

Negatives. The characters. Yes, something this small affected practically the whole book. Ok, let's go through a basic run-down of them and why they completely brought this novel down:

Mary
Where do I start with Mary. She's our protagonist, which means there's more to hate about her in this book. She has trust issues, especially with her brother. (view spoiler). She is innocent, despite her constant curiosity to know more about life and about this new world and the secrets it holds. She doesn't realise what and who she has (view spoiler). She takes people for granted and oozes selfishness. She has courage in a sense but she doesn't have it when she needs it. (view spoiler) She cannot make up her mind. She doesn't know what/who she wants, leaving everyone suffering. (view spoiler). Basically summing Mary up is that she acts like a complete and total CHILD. She needs to grow up and face her problems and not try and stick to a fantasy or to something that she has just found out about in a life-altering moment. She is supposed to be of marrying age (16, 17 18-ish!) (view spoiler).

The Sisterhood
More like the Society of Secretive B***hes. Wow, do these ladies like to keep things to themselves. They also love to live by the word of God. (view spoiler) They basically are the God's of the village, they are superior through knowledge and power. They know about the outside world. They know that they are strong enough to basically "brainwash" the people. (view spoiler) They tell everything how it is straight. They are mean to Mary, yet their emotions and moods swing when someone else is there.

Cass
This girl has some serious mental issues. You. Are. Insane. She doesn't get the reality of what is happening as well as what she is hearing when it is something different from what she has been told by the Sisterhood. Also her confliced emotions are very raw and make her seem psychotic. (view spoiler)

Jed
Oh how I loathe him. He is the type of person who needs to have someone with him. (view spoiler)

Brothers:Travis&Harry
These two really need to sort out their priorities. Even they are only a year or so apart their mind set is similar in what they attract. (view spoiler)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

12/12/2011 page 123