Andy Steinberg's Reviews > Mogworld

Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw

Nov 27, 2011

did not like it
Read from November 21 to 25, 2011

The only thing that carries over from Yahtzee's video game reviews is his unfailing cynicism. While that works well for him as a critic, it does him little favors as a novelist. The protagonist is essentially Yahtzee's internet persona thrown into a fantasy world, and his never-ending stream of complaints and pessimism about the book world only serve to make him impossible to like as a reader. If I've learned anything about writing through my years as a reader, it's that you should never have an unlikeable protagonist.

Yahtzee does a lot of other things that also scream amateur. The writing is childish and poorly thought out. The book is filled with contradictions, sometimes contained within the same page. The characters are one-dimensional and predictable. There are no surprises that emerge from either their actions of the plot as a whole. This makes sense when you consider that many of Yahtzee's reviews complain about too much story and not enough gameplay.

In the end, I don't know why Yahtzee wrote this book. Aside from financial motivations, of course. It kind of reads as a criticism of the MMO genre, but Yahtzee has already done that far better in his reviews. I wish I could recommend this at least to fans of his, but even that I cannot do. Everything about it is bad. It's so bad, that if it were a game, you would say, "I can't wait to see Yahtzee tear this thing apart!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mogworld.

11/21/2011 page 70

message 1: by Ivan (new)

Ivan You should *never* have an unlikable protagonist, otherwise known as an antihero? Never, ever, ever?

message 2: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy Steinberg Ivan wrote: "You should *never* have an unlikable protagonist, otherwise known as an antihero? Never, ever, ever?"

Antihero doesn't mean unlikeable. Antihero means not wholly good in terms of morality. There's no reason an antihero can't be likeable.