Steph's Reviews > Angels' Blood

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

7019820
Nov 21, 2011

bookshelves: favourites, paranormal-setting, paranormal-romance, favs-that-i-love-rereading
Read from March 24 to 26, 2012

Sometimes the first book in a series can be, to be quite frank, slow and tedious. It is VERY rarely the first book in a series that gets me hooked. It's usually the second, sometimes third book, that finally reels me in. Well, I was looking around for something to read, and remembered that Nalini Singh had another series apart from her Psy/Changeling series. Now, I'm up-to-date on the Psy/Changeling series, and I love it, but it also meant that I had already been aware of her other Guild Hunter series for a while now. So I was most definitely avoiding the other series for some reason or another - I do that sometimes and I don’t know why. But finally I said "What the heck, Singh's a great para-rom writer, this series should be great too..." Whoa, I should kick myself in the shins. I was not disappointed, or I should say I was disappointed but only with myself for not reading this sooner. Angel's Blood, book 1 in the Guild Hunter series is fantastic. I loved the characters, the dialogue, the story, everything.

Some authors are not very good at re-inventing the paranormal world. Sometimes its uber-cheesy, sometimes it lacks originality, or sometimes it just becomes so complex and complicated you get a headache from recalling, remembering and thinking things through so much. Don't get me wrong, I like fresh interpretations of the paranormal world - keeps things interesting - but it has to be done properly and in an engaging fashion. Singh, in my opinion, has a great imagination. Her guild hunter series world is so coooool! This particular world includes vamps, angels, and humans. In this world, Angels and Archangels pretty much run the show. They're actually responsible for the creation of vamps. In return for turning a human into a vampire - who by the way have to apply to become a vampire for the most part - vampires are required to serve their maker, the angel, for 100 years prior to going off on their own. Of course you have your rebel vamps who don't want to serve the angels. It is at this point we welcome our guild hunters who are hired by angels to tag, bag, and return their "property" to them. Yes it's a type of slavery I guess, but that's the cost for the gift of immortality in this world.

Say hello to Elena, our guild hunter series heroine. She's a born hunter, so she comes equipped with a couple of extra perks when it comes to tracking vampires, including the ability to track them through scent. Along with her awesome quick wit in the book, she can kick some serious butt and is VERY good at what she does. Because she is so good at what she does, she gets hired by the Manhattan Archangel Raphael for a top secret, pretty much suicidal mission. Raphael is a very old, very arrogant, high-level archangel. He'll pretty much fry you on the spot if you breathe the wrong way, and probably would have killed Elena about twenty times over if he wasn't so intrigued by the little hunter. Their exchanges are actually quite entertaining, and although Raphael often grinds my gears as a reader, Singh does a wonderful job of being consistent in writing his character and making sure Elena holds her own. This book would not work without a strong heroine - seriously. Anyways, beyond Elena and Raphael getting to know one another, they also have to track an archangel gone bad. Yes, Elena's suicidal mission is to find the Eastern European Archangel Uram who's gone to the dark side. Once this is done, Raphael has to kill him as only an archangel can kill an archangel.

It's a great book. There's lots of action, drama, awesome banter between the characters, excellent side characters (Dmitri the vampire, Illium the angel, Sarah the Guild Director to name a few), great romance scenes, and you can't go wrong when Elena takes Raphael down a notch or two. I love the world Singh's created, and I'm excited to read what's next for Elena and Raphael. I definitely recommend this book to para-rom readers. If you enjoy her psy/changeling series, I’d be surprised if you didn't like this one. And if you've never read Singh, please try one, the other, or both series. Singh brings a refreshing twist to the paranormal romance world that shouldn't be missed.

Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels' Blood.

Quotes Steph Liked

Nalini Singh
“You do realize this makes your wings even more unique."
"Are you saying you shot me as a cosmetic procedure?”

Nalini Singh
“Oh, this is a special blend for you." Taking one of the fingers she hadn't licked, he rubbed it along her lips. "What we usually shed is apparently comparable to the most delicious of chocolates or the finest of wines. Decadent, rich, and very expensive."
She told herself she wasn't going to lick the glitter off her lips. "And this blend?" The taste was inside her mouth without her having any knowledge of taking it in. And Raphael was incredibly close, his wings creating a white gold wall all around them his hands strong and warm on her hips. "What's so special about it?"
"This blend," he murmured, bending his head, "is about sex."
She put her hands on his chest but it wasn't a protest. After the blood, the fear, she needed to touch him, to know this glorious creature existed. "Another form of mind control?"
He shook his head, his mouth a hairbreadth from hers. "It's only fair."
"Fair?" She flicked her tongue along his lower lip. It made his hands clench on her hips.
"If I licked you between your thighs, your taste would have the same aphrodisiac effect on me.”

Nalini Singh
“He closed his eyes, dropping his forehead against hers. “You’ll be the death of me, Elena.” She smiled. “You need a little excitement in that boring old life of yours.”
Nalini Singh, Angels' Blood

Superbunny hah! i'm much like you - sometimes i'd actually start a series with the 2nd book instead of the 1st for the reasons you've mentioned. but in this one, i think angel's consort was the worst. anyway, keep reading but be warned, Illium IS MINE. :-D

Steph Hahaha... claiming Bluebell are we!! We'll see about that :P haha.. You know what though, as excited as I am for Illium's book, i'm actually also really excited for Venom and Aodhan's story too... both are soooo mysterious *waggles eyebrows*

I actually have liked all the Elena/Raphael books. My least favourite was Dmitri's unfortunately. I liked it, but reincarnations are touchy with me and I'm on the fence about how all that went down. Oh well, you can't win'em all

Lulu I really enjoy this series too! Singh is so talented. I'll take Raphael any day. Venom's book is one I'm really looking forward to along with Illium and Aodhan.

Steph Singh is definitely a fav author of mine. One of the better authors at dealing with her "side stories" too IMO.

Lulu, do you think Venom will end up with Sorrow? I'm curious about her. Singh has to have a plan with her, and weren't there hints that Venom was getting "attached"? I definitely wouldn't be opposed to such a match up - but that's just me :)

Lulu I think there is something going on between Venom and Sorrow, don't know if it'll turn into anything but Singh is pretty good about dropping little hints. Could be that they just end up as BFFs but I'm thinking romance could definitely be in the picture.

Bexs ~Fallen Arrow lover~ Glad you liked it! :)

message 7: by Buggy (new)

Buggy Wow, fantastic review Steph, I'm so glad you're over here on GR now and get to read all your reviews again.

For some reason (much like you I presume "for one reason or another") I've yet to read anything by Nalini Singh. I like how you say even the first book in series is good because that's often not the case.

I've started a couple of new Para romance series this week and they've both been duds, I don't know if I'm in BDB withdrawal or what but maybe this would save me

Steph aww Thanks Buggy! :D

I totally know what you mean about the withdrawal and having a tough time finding something else after a book from a series you love. The first time I was up-to-date with BDB (Lover Avenged at that point) I read Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed. What a mistake. I should've known that nothing would compare to the brothers. I read the first 5 (i think) books of Midnight Breed and had to walk away. I really wasn't loving it. About a year later i started back up since i had the next one the shelf and nothing else to read at the time. Now i love the damn series.

Back to Singh though. Her worlds are unique and refreshing and i definitely recommend you give her a go. She is a fantastic PNR author and her series' are neck and neck with BDB for me at this point - although for slightly different reasons. I RUN to the store for her books. I'm re-reading her guild hunter series for the third time right now! And since it's so different from the typical PNR in my opinion, give it a try, as it might be exactly what you need!

Lulu I love Nalini Singh. She has her own unique style, like Ward does. Her series have become my favorites without question. I have the date of her next Psy-Changeling book, Tangle of Need, on my calendar. Can't hardly wait!

message 10: by Buggy (new)

Buggy I actually read Midnight Breed first and then abondoned it in the last few books. Its kinda BDB lite.

I've had so many people recommend SIngh to me, don't know what I'm waiting for? Which series of hers do you think is better?

Steph Which is better? what a tough question. I LOVE THEM BOTH and for different reasons. I will say that the Guild Hunter series sucked me in right away and might be my fav by the thinnest of hairs, whereas the Psy/Changeling took me a couple books, but considering book 3 is one of my favs in the series, well clearly its a series that i just needed a lil bit of time to wrap my head around its concept. Both series are quite different from one another, and quite unique from the rest of the para-rom genre. Really depends on what you want to take on: Angels/Vamps or Shifters/Psy. You can't lose with either.

Oh and Breed is BDB lite, but i REALLY liked the latest Breed book - Chase's - very much a climactic novel in the series, especially considering the next Breed book will be at least a decade in the future.