Suzie Grogan's Reviews > A Christmas Secret

4201567
Nov 24, 11

bookshelves: christmas
Read from November 21 to 23, 2011

Anne Perry is not a writer I have come across before. Even though she was described by The Times as one of the top 100 crime writers of the 20th century, some of her books are probably titles I would not pick up as a rule. She is also incredibly prolific and very popular in the US with her Victorian mysteries which, as I picked up this book at a car boot, worried me a little. Would she be writing about a schmaltzy US view of a typical English Victorian Christmas? Well no, although I wondered if Maribelle was a name common in English villages in the 1890.

Anyway - I sniff, and I don't mean to as I thoroughly enjoyed this. It was light, the characters weren't particularly finely drawn and at just over 130 pages it is really an extended People's Friend Christmas Special but I am not one to criticise that? It is Christmassy; and whips along at a brisk speed - as the characters clearly have to in the frozen snowy landscape she describes to a point that I felt a little shiver as I read.

It isn't a complex literary piece but that isn't what Anne Perry was aiming for. Not sure I will search out more of her books but this kept me cosy for a couple of evenings in the run up to Christmas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Christmas Secret.