Books Ring Mah Bell's Reviews > The Last Lecture

bookshelves: memo-auto-bio, poop
Recommended to Books Ring Mah Bell by: The whole world
Recommended for: fans of American Idol
Read in June, 2008, read count: 1

While this man has a 5-star attitude, I can only give the book two.

yeah, everyone is raving about this guy...
Five star attitude... the author gets diagnosed with terminal cancer. He refers to this as "an engineering problem" (understated and true) has 3-6 months to live, tops. Has 3 small children (ages 6 and under)who will never know him. he was scheduled to give a "last lecture", ya know, how to live your life as if you were dying... (irony) and he writes it in such a way that it's a celebration of his life. his children will know who he was and what he believed in. a story of how life can throw brick walls in your way and you have a choice, to stop or go around them. play the cards you get dealt instead of bitching about them...

I applaud the great attitude he takes to enjoy the time he has left and focus on what matters. But is this earth shattering? Is any of this a surprise?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Lecture.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you mean, 5-star attitude? Now you have me interested.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I heard some people at work speaking positively about this book...yes, please go into more detail, BRMB!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

She's just teasing us!!! Denying us a review!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

BRMB is a tough cookie to take on 'The Last Lecture' feel good machine. I think she is avoiding a full-length review so she doesn't get struck by lightning. Stand back everyone!

Books Ring Mah Bell there... a little more.

bring the heat!

Donald, you are right, it's like a Tuesdays with Morrie feel good piece of propaganda. Who is gonna say "sorry about the 10 tumors and all, but this book is lackluster?"

only a true hardass.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Oh my god. If it's like Tuesdays with Morrie I'm going to run away every time it's mentioned. Thanks for the warning, hon.

Books Ring Mah Bell that's how it felt to me... and I liked Morrie, (maybe not Mitch Albom after his 5,000th attempt to write a poignant tear-jerker)

I think the book is a great legacy for his children... beyond that...

"don't nag about little things, like clothes on the floor, waste of time"
NO, Really!?!?
"take those trips, while you have the time and are healthy enough to enjoy them"
I am going to wait until I am senile and bedridden to travel to China. I figure they can just push my bed and I.V. pole along the Great Wall.

I give him mad props for being common sensical and scientific in his approach to his death, but there was nothing in the book earth-shattering for me.

message 8: by james (new)

james how WERE those steel nails you had for breakfast?

A-

message 9: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 09, 2008 08:28AM) (new)

RandomAnthony You know, I'm always interested in the balance associated with books of this nature. On one hand, sure, go on the trips, etc. But what if you run out of money related to retirement? I mean, what if you don't die for a long time? What if you run up huge credit card bills and can't pay your mortgage because you went on all these trips or whatever? Know what I mean? And with the clothes on the floor...sure, don't be white-glove psycho about it, but shouldn't kids sometimes pick up their toys or whatever? I don't know. I think most of this type of book is bullshit, and sometimes people use them as excuses for their own lame behavior.

Books Ring Mah Bell RA- He was certainly on the way to wormfood...
but yeah, can't go racking up a ton of debt on the way out (I suspect money was not an issue here)

A- the nails were delicious. I eat them as a cereal with broken glass sprinkled on top.

message 11: by bryan (new)

bryan >>I think most of this type of book is bullshit, and sometimes people use them as excuses for their own lame behavior.

I'm sure Pausch had good intentions, but I think you're probably right. "Follow your bliss!" is a far more appealing message to people than "Do your work."

message 12: by james (new)

james and a nice tall glass of nitric acid.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 09, 2008 08:49AM) (new)

RandomAnthony BRMB, if he's wormfood, yes, knock yourself out (uh, not literally, you're already going to die) with money, etc...but it's the people reading the book who aren't necc. going to die soon who might be the problem.

I'm not saying life has to be dull and boring. Have fun. But be responsible, you know? I also think pleasure is not always associated with going nuts and doing whacked-out things. Sometimes that feels desperate. I don't know. Maybe I'm a bitchy mood. Pass the nails and nitric acid.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

BRMB--I applaud you for not just falling into line on this book just because the author is dying. People can get so weird about these types of things. The prospect of death seems to lend a certain type of validity to things that do not always deserve it. (I haven't read this book, so I'm just saying in general on this one.)

Books Ring Mah Bell Agreed, ShellBell. The guy is smart, a hard worker and has the best attitude as he dies...
he tells people to go for their dreams, work hard, don't coddle the children, don't be a jerk, love your family, the million little common sense/ decent things we should all do that have been written a million times.

If he was not dying, this book would not even register on the charts.

yowza. I'm going to go wait for my hate mail now.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

But what you are saying is SO TRUE!!! The author's "hook" is that he's dying. Yeah, that was cold. I admit it. Ouch.

Books Ring Mah Bell I think I might love you, Shell...

message 18: by Jessica (last edited Jun 09, 2008 09:34AM) (new)

Jessica I saw the speech on youtube or something like that...my aunt sent it to me. It's likely that it works better as a speech than as a book. I showed it to my Public Speaking class and they really felt moved by it. It's a good example of public speaking. Would I read the book? No. Is it earth shattering? no. Just well-spoken and delivered.

message 19: by james (new)

james brmb:

you might want to consider crashing a few of the neighborhood funerals...

ya know, just to lighten up the party a bit.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I think we're having a moment. :)

Books Ring Mah Bell Anthony,
my dad is a mortician.
I always try to put the "fun" in funeral!

message 22: by Bookie (new)

Bookie hey Books, I laughed to the point of tears reading your responses! (and wasn't that supposed to be the point of his lecture anyway?) um, sorta along the lines of lighten up everyone. Now, if only everyone who gets so defensive about the importance of his message would back that up with a check to St Judes Children's Hospital... anyone?

message 23: by Mattaca (last edited Aug 30, 2008 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mattaca Warnick Totally agree. Glad you've got the guts to say what other people won't. I applaud his effort, but it certainly didn't change my life.

Books Ring Mah Bell Thank you Bookie and Mattaca!

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I saw his speech again (see note above) with another class, and this time found it cliche-ridden and facile and not such a great example of speech-making after all. (The class liked it of course).

message 26: by Ilze (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilze I think your disappointment is related more to the hype surrounding the book, than the book itself. Remember, he never meant to write it "for the world", but for his children.

Books Ring Mah Bell Ilze, yes, the hype around it was VERY disappointing. The book was as well. He may never have meant to write the book "for the world", but that didn't stop him from signing some papers, taking a fat check from the publisher, and sharing it with the world.

message 28: by Heaven (new) - added it

Heaven im only on the 2nd chapter and i love the book bye the way his kids are Dylan ,Logan,And Chloe.Dylan is 5,logan is 2,and Chloe is 1.i canty wait till im done reading it its going to be a great book!i already give it a five.

message 29: by Heaven (new) - added it

Heaven deleted user wrote: "What do you mean, 5-star attitude? Now you have me interested."

good you should read it

Books Ring Mah Bell I'm glad someone enjoys this book.

message 31: by EJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

EJ Everyone wants to be known. Not in the sense of fame.. But to truely be understood for who we are and no one wants to be forgotten.... This to me is just proof of that. I agree the lecture is better than the written version. I agree it's laced with cliché and common sense however a positive book cant hurt. All this coming from someone who hated Tuesdays with morrie

message 32: by Jen (new)

Jen I always like lectures when I know there won't be any more. Maybe that is the real hook.

Donna bryan wrote: ">>I think most of this type of book is bullshit, and sometimes people use them as excuses for their own lame behavior.

Except he NEVER said not to work hard - just the opposite! More like, don't give up and work hard to attain the important things (which of course are not always 'things' in a material sense)

Preeti I agree with your review completely! I thought the book was a let-down. And it definitely wouldn't have been best-seller material if it weren't for the "hook."

However,
Can't say I wouldn't have done this myself. Leaving behind a bunch of money for his wife and kids? Why not!

Books Ring Mah Bell For sure! I think he played that shitty cancer card very well.

Serena Garcia I honestly think you're a cunt flat out. The book never said you HAD to go on these trips or rack up debt you fucking moron. I didn't like the book because he died, was dying, is dead, whatever. I liked the book because it shared a great story filled with lessons you ungragteful people should learn.

message 37: by Books Ring Mah Bell (last edited Nov 07, 2012 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Books Ring Mah Bell I honestly think you're a cunt flat out. The book never said you HAD to go on these trips or rack up debt you fucking moron. I didn't like the book because he died, was dying, is dead, whatever. I liked the book because it shared a great story filled with lessons you ungragteful people should learn.

This flat out cunt has more gratitude than you will ever know.

Serena is not Serene!

(and you clearly missed his message on not being a dickhead.)

have a lovely day!

message 38: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oh my god.

message 39: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason You sure don't seem very nice to me, calling people names because they didn't like a book.

Books Ring Mah Bell [image error]

cunts ARE clever, yo!

Books Ring Mah Bell Don't be an ungrateful, undeserving cunt, Jason.

message 42: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Haha, I'm the opposite of Serena. I'm mean to people who deserve it!

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Serena wrote: "I honestly think you're a cunt flat out. The book never said you HAD to go on these trips or rack up debt you fucking moron. I didn't like the book because he died, was dying, is dead, whatever. I ..."

What the hell?

message 44: by David (new)

David Serena wrote: "I honestly think you're a cunt flat out. The book never said you HAD to go on these trips or rack up debt you fucking moron. I didn't like the book because he died, was dying, is dead, whatever. I ..."

Flagged!

I couldn't resist.

message 45: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Michelle, please. Serena's nice, ya know? We should all be more like her. All nice like.

message 46: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Serena wrote: "a cunt flat out"

It's a literary reference, to Balzac's "A Cunt Flat Out", the much under-read sequel to "A Harlot High and Low". Serena's into some very high-brow stuff here. I'm so grateful for her reasoned, tempered rebuff to your review. So grateful.

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle You're right, Jason. She is nice. Well, she's only nice to people who deserve it. And Bells definitely doesn't deserve it. I mean, who has the nerve not to like a book about some guy with cancer? A cunt flat out, that's who.

message 48: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Ha, Geoff!

Books Ring Mah Bell A cunt flat out!

Geoff, which high-brow read did she get "fucking moron" from? Because I'd like to add that to my "to-read" list!

message 50: by Michelle (last edited Nov 07, 2012 08:40AM) (new)

Michelle Serena's into some very high-brow stuff here.

Not that we would know. I mean, her profile is private and all. It's so she can run around calling people cunts on their reviews but we can't see any of her own reviews/books. Coward.

« previous 1