Viohlet's Reviews > A Winter Scandal

A Winter Scandal by Candace Camp

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, 3rd-person-pov, angsty, best-romance-heroes-ever, blackmail-extortion-etc, children-born-adopted-etc, favorites, genre-historical, hero-2-g-l, hero-has-bucket-loads-of-charm, hero-i-loved, hero-protective-possessive, hero-to-heroine-class-difference, hero-to-die-for, heroine-4-s-z, heroine-6-brunette-black, heroine-glasses, heroine-i-loved, heroine-plain-jane-ugly-duckling, heroine-wallflower-spinster, heroine-orphan, heroine-virgin, historical-1800s, holiday-period, kidnapping-abduction, making-assumptions, mystery-suspense-etc, series, read-4-loved, second-chance-love, series-beginning, set-in-english-country, some-real-sick-people-out-there, stars-5, sugary-sweet, slow-to-start, you-are-supposed-to-be-dead
Read from November 22 to 23, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Another winner from Candace Camp.

I really, really loved this.

I was intrigued from the very beginning, and I didn't have any idea how it was going to end, until it ended. I thought I knew who it was, but I was wrong, and I liked that it came as a surprise. That doesn't happen often. I suspected everyone at one stage or another, trying to piece it together, but I just didn't get it til the end when it was revealed.

Gabriel, the hero, was incredibly charming, and I liked him from the very beginning. I felt that the heroine, Althea, was a little overly hostile in the beginning (hostile because he didn't remember her from a night ten years previous) but once she went a bit nutty and confronted him about his supposed love child and ended up being wrong, she was great.

I'm finding it's ridiculously hard for me to write a review because I liked this title so much. I hate that XD

In the end, I did suspect that Cousin Ian might have been the father of the abandoned baby, but this was close to the end, and only after a conversation between Gabriel and the assumed antagonist, Rawdon. However, I never suspected that Ian's wife was actually behind, well, just about everything (except the baby being abandoned, although she kinda inadvertently was). Neither did I suspect, or expect however, that she would be such a crazy sicko. I feel that she wasn't punished harshly enough, but I guess that's just the way it goes.

Overall, I thought this was a fantastic start to the new series. The hero and heroine were both great characters and I loved the fact that there were very few factors standing in the way of them being together (no crazy ex-lovers, or either of them already being engaged, etc).

I look forward to the next book, which I'm assuming, and hoping, will feature Rawdon and Damaris.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves historical romances and would rate it a 5/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Winter Scandal.