Mrsgaskell's Reviews > Tangles : a story about Alzheimer's, my mother, and me

Tangles  by Sarah Leavitt

Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: 10-star, canadiana, nonfiction, library
Read on November 21, 2011

A friend recommended this non-fiction graphic "novel" to me last week. I picked it up at the library today, and although I had another book on the go, I couldn't resist this one. I read it in one sitting, on the verge of tears almost all the way through and downright bawling by the end. I don't have personal experience with Alzheimer's or dementia but I do know firsthand how it feels to lose one's mother. Sarah Leavitt's writing and drawings create a brave, unflinching, and honest account of her family's experience with Alzheimer's. Her mother was stricken with the early-onset form of the disease, beginning to show symptoms at the age of 52. Over the next eight years, as her cognitive abilities became more and more impaired, relationships and family dynamics changed, and Midge became increasingly dependent on her family's caregiving. Her extended family made every effort to keep her at home for as long as they could. Family relationships are never perfect, and that is true of this family, but their love was apparent on every page. This is a very poignant book, one that makes you realise just how powerful the graphic novel format can be. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tangles .