Anthony's Reviews > The Maid: A Novel of Joan of Arc

The Maid by Kimberly Cutter

M_50x66
Nov 25, 11

Read from November 21 to 25, 2011

I love historical fiction. I have read and enjoyed many historical fiction novels about Henry VIII, Thomas Cromwell, the Civil War era and in addition to enjoying the read, I also learn a lot about the times of that era. So, I was so looking forward to reading this novel about Joan of Arc, who I only remember from my Catholic grammar school days as a saint we used to adore because she was following God's orders directly to drive the English out of France.

But I have to say this book was disappointing. The author does a good job of getting into Joan's head and imagining what was going on inside of her. Was she really speaking to God, St. Michael the Archangel, St Catherine and St. Theresa? Or were these just results of Joan's delusions possibly as a result of a mental illness. Reading the internal struggles and doubts that Joan had as she took on her mission was very well done.

What I found disappointing was the lack of a larger perspective. I would have liked to have more information on exactly why the English were in France, why the Burgundians were allies of the English and turned against the French monarchy and why the new French King, Charles VII, who Joan helped to be crowned, was as difficult and challenging as he was.

There were some things about Joan of Arc I did not know before reading this novel and so also in that regard it was interesting. I just wish the author had spent a little more time on the larger political situation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maid.