Stephanie's Reviews > Juliet

Juliet by Anne Fortier

Nov 22, 2011

bookshelves: adult, contemporary-fiction-read, historical-fiction-read, my-library, mystery-suspense-read
Read from November 21 to 22, 2011

My Summary: Julie Jacobs has always lived in the shadow of her younger twin, Janice. Being the designated 'good child', Julie is astounded to discover that their aunt - who raised them like they were her own daughters - left her entire fortune to Janice, cutting Julie out of the will completely. Grieving the loss of her aunt and the fact that she's been kicked out by her sister, Julie has no idea where her life is headed... until she receives a mysterious letter from her dead aunt, describing a chain of events that will lead Julie back to her birthplace to uncover the unsettling circumstances of her parents' deaths and her own star-crossed ancestors.

My Thoughts: I picked this novel up on a whim and couldn't put it down. Everything about the premise - an old family curse, Shakespeare, a mysterious letter - sounded like something that I would really enjoy. And man did I enjoy it. I loved the way the author blended the past and the present, giving each time period a great set of characters. I adored the history we got about Shakespeare's inspiration for the play, and the way that the author made it seem all the more real by tracing the different versions of the story through history. Being a huge Shakespeare geek myself, I loved getting a look at the differences and similarities between his version and the others. Also, the author's descriptions of Siena make you feel like you're right there with Julie as she tries to decode her mom's clues and break the curse.

Final Thoughts: If you're looking for a more mature read that has it all, I definitely recommend you check out Juliet by Anne Fortier! Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet.

11/21/2011 page 200
42.0% "Loving it so far!"