bookczuk's Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: early-review-librarything, bookcrossing, fantasy, kids-of-most-ages, read-for-review, vampires-ghosts-and-other-creatures, didn-t-want-to-put-it-down
Recommended to bookczuk by: librarything
Read from November 21 to 22, 2011

I like fantasy novels. I like YA literature. It's not a long stretch of the imagination that I'd probably like Amanda Hocking's Switched, the first book in her Trylle Trilogy. I just didn't expect to like it so much.

I devoured it in two sittings (which would have been one, had not that pesky element of having to sleep gotten in the way.) The first thing that enchanted me about the book was the back jacket blurb: "SWITCHED at birth... When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother may have been right."

Many of us as adolescents had the thought that we were switched at birth and our "real" family was different/cooler/happier/(fill in the blank), but what if that happened to be true? And what if your "real" family were those you hear about in fairy tales, though not always in the "nice guy" role? And what does that mean about the family that raised you, even if your mother had chased you with a knife when you were six? Weren't you loved, even though you were an impossible child?

It's lot for Wendy (named after Peter's Wendy by her older brother Matt) to decipher and assimilate into her view on the world. Exploring the new world, and rediscovering her past one through different eyes is challenging in many ways. Hocking introduces a new take on old supernatural beings, and how the modern world impacts their abilities. But this first bite into the Trylle books is easily digestible, and builds an appetite for the next two books. I look forward to reading them.

Thank you to LibraryThing's Early Reviews Program and the equally wonderful St Martin's Griffin for sending an Advanced Readers' copy of this book which comes out in January 2012. Hocking has previously been self published and has quite a following for her e-books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.

11/22/2011 page 258
85.0% "I don't like this book because it made me stay up too late last night to keep reading and made me skip my dance class this morning so I can finish it. And because I'll have to wait until February to read the next one and April to finish the series. :("