Heavensent1's Reviews > ProtoStar

Jan 11, 2012

liked it
Recommended to Heavensent1 by: ARC
Read from January 10 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

The Star-Crossed Saga: Protostar is a YA Romantic Christian Science Fiction.

Civil war is approaching the Torrian Alliance as they strive to kill the "star-children" in order to suppress the evil spreading amongst the galaxy. Prince William has been ordered by his father, King Gregario, to hunt down a female star-child in order to restore honour and faith to his family.

When William meets seventeen year old Sydney, the star-child, he becomes to learn that she isn't an evil entity and falls in love with her. They spend much time getting to know one another until the Alliance sends out another party to deal with Sydney. Without her death, life as William knows it will end and order must be made to right in the Alliances view.

I found the The Star-Crossed Saga to be an okay read. I wasn't overly fond of the characters and couldn't really relate to them. I found them to be stiff, overly formal and more often than not, the dialogue fell flat.

I did like Sydney and found her the only focus in the story worthy of reading. I thought her innocence was a delightful asset to the plot, as she has no clue how she affects others off planet. I liked how she interacted with the other characters she comes into contact with.

I also enjoyed the back story of the plot, how and why this occurs was an interesting read and was befitting of the story. I also liked how the author was able to keep from the reader realizing who was actually doing good and who were the evil ones. He managed to keep the intrigue interesting which also helps keep the story moving forward.

I thought William to be a dry, a tad boring and way too formal for my liking. I just couldn't connect with him or his plight. I found his dialogue dull and several times I had to put the book down in order to return.

I did like the blend of romance with the science fiction but thought there was more emphasis on the love story than science fiction so any diehard sci-fi fans are not going to enjoy this book as much, unless you like romance novels, then you will find this blend to be intriguing. Author, Braxton A. Crosby, calls this Sci-Fance, though I think Sci-Mance is more in tune to the story.

I would give The Star-Crossed Saga: Protostar a three out of five stars. I can see potential in the author if he loosens up his dialogue a bit and finds a way to express his descriptives in a more flowing manner. I found the story lacked the momentum it needed to really flourish however, I would definitely give this a chance and look forward to more from Braxton A. Crosby, his potential is there with a bit more experience under his belt!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ProtoStar.