Ellie's Reviews > The Black Path

The Black Path by Åsa Larsson

Dec 18, 2011

bookshelves: nordic-noir, scandanavian, series, mystery, 2011ind-chal200bks, fiction
Read from December 10 to 18, 2011

The Black Path by Åsa Larsson is the third in her series of mysteries featuring Rebecka Martinsson and is a wonderful story. All the characters were vividly drawn and all the story arcs interesting. I never wanted it to be over, a feeling I rarely have as I rush from one book to another. And it did what few books ever do: it made me cry. And I still loved it.

The book begins with what seems to be the certain death of a man on the ice but rapidly changes course when he discovers the body of a woman. Inna Wattrang is part of a trio of entrepreneurs, along with her brother Diddi and led by rags-to-riches success story Mauri Kallis. The 3 are enormously successful, particularly in high risk mining in war-torn countries (their current endeavor is in Uganda) and they work just barely on the right side of the law. Rebecka Martinsson is now working in Kiruna, having left her tax law practice after her last "adventure" (in The Blood Spilt resulted in a severe emotional breakdown. She is assisting police officer Anna Maria Mella (who continues to be one of my favorite detectives: wife, mother, very human) in her investigation.

The book is well-plotted and paced with a range of interesting characters. It also examines Sweden's welfare state, capitalism, and art. Through the plot and characters, Larsson share some interesting insights and views on these complex issues. The book has made me want to learn more about Swedish culture (I've already started trying to master a reading knowledge of the language so I can read some of these mysteries in the original).

But mostly I guess I would just say the book is wonderful. Enthralling. I loved it-I'm only sorry I can't read it again for the first time.

Recommended for everyone.

7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Path.

12/10/2011 page 15
5.0% "So excited to be reading another in one of my favorite series. Rebecka is such an unusual "hero.""
12/11/2011 page 90
28.0% "Not much mystery so far but a terrific novel."
12/17/2011 page 126
39.0% "So far, the best of the Rebecka Martinsson. Every word is satisfying."
12/18/2011 page 267
83.0% "So much I love about this one-Rebecka, Anna, Ester, the side plots, all the characters. The descriptions of painting."
show 1 hidden update…

Harriet I felt exactly the same way but you were much more graphic in your review.