John's Reviews > Dinosaurs ...in SPAAACE!

Dinosaurs ...in SPAAACE! by Greg Stolze

Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: gaming, role-playing, science-fiction
Read in November, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The best summary of the game is taken from the back of the book: "rules-light satirical roleplaying!"

The rules-light portion fills just 13 pages and involves the players and GM bidding tokens against each other to push the plot in the direction they want, or to determine the outcome of conflicts. This "Token Effort" system puts the GM on a much more level playing field with the players than is common in most RPGs. So much so, that I think Token Effort could probably be adapted into a GM-less system.

The rest of the book is setting material. It begins with the history of space travel as we know it, touching briefly on the extinction event that ended the dinosaurs, then jumping forward to the development of rocketry from Ancient China to the Nazis, Americans and Russians.

Next we get the real story. Thetans, Grays, time-travel, and secret Nazi bases on the moon form just a part of what's going on behind the scenes. There's a lot of stuff here to make for campy 50's space adventure mixed with conspiracy theory.

I don't know if I'll ever get this to the table with my regular group, but I may try to run a demo of it some time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinosaurs ...in SPAAACE!.