Patricia's Reviews > 11/22/63

2782036
May 23, 15

bookshelves: scifi, 2011-lists, favorite
Read from November 22 to 29, 2011

I love stories about time travel. I also love stories which take place during the late 50s and early 60s. That being said, I really wanted to read this book! I wasn't disappointed, although it was quite a bit different than what I had envisioned. It's most definitely a love story, which I didn't expect at all from a Stephen King book. Maybe I just haven't read enough of them. A large portion of the book takes place in a small town in the early 60s where the protagonist, Jake Epping, chaperones dances and attends high school football games. I'm perfectly ok with this, but it may not be everyone's cuppa.

King sets up the time travel aspect of the book nicely in the first few chapters and adds some fantastic and grisly sub-plots. It wasn't until the final third of the book that Oswald and JFK really become a part of the story and by then I was completely taken with Jake and the other characters. I read a review that was not very favorable toward Jake, complaining that he was just too perfect. I will admit that there are characters and situations that seem a bit unbelievable or larger than life but I kind of liked that aspect of the story.

Take your time with this one. It's not a thrill-a-minute story but there this 849 page book does pack some very exciting moments. It also contains some wonderful characters as well as a few very interesting ideas involving time travel. Stephen King dedicated the book to his new little granddaughter, but was originally going to dedicate it to Jack Finney, the author of my favorite time travel novel, Time and Again. I'm pretty sure King must have taken a few notes about time travel from this book. He really makes us think about the "what if's" that take place in our lives and our own place in history.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.