Cynthia Hand's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

May 12, 12

Read in May, 2012

This novel frustrated and fascinated me. I could not read it quickly, and had to repress my urge to skip ahead at several spots, but the circus and the characters were wonderful. I worried about them constantly, which for me is always a sign of well-drawn characters.

But. . . I felt like we never built to as big of a climax in the story as what I was anticipating. The event that set off the end felt almost random to me, like, "time's up, now we finish this book." I would have liked to have seen them really duel competitively, or try to and ultimately not be able to. All in all I left the book with an unsettled, unsatisfied feeling.

All in all, though, I really liked it. It was such a neat concept, and a well-executed story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gina (Fantasia Books) I absolutely loved this book :) there is so much magic awaiting in these pages :D Hope you enjoy it!

Tanja Voosen i absolutely hated it...well, hope you enjoy it more! ;)

Lauren LOVED this book. Though it's definitely one where the book description is misleading and doesn't do the story justice.

Fiona Hopkins This book made me fall a little bit in love with the Circus, rather than the plot. It was gripping, but it all came on so gradually I cant pinpoint the hook moment. It is beautifully written and is one of those books that will continue to sell forever. It was a little anti-climatic in its ending, but Morgenstern toyed with my expectations all the way through. Just thought I'd share! ha ha oh, an I have to say the book itself is very nicely designed-love the cover!

Ange (MarmaladeLibby of Libby Blog) Schmelzer This is our next book club book. Can't wait to try it. Sounds so different.

Becky I felt the same way: frustrated and wanting to love it but couldn't quite. I loved the Circus & its characters, but the pace was frustrating.

Shannon (BookCrushin) I felt continually confused by the time shifts. If I put the book down for a few days I'd forget what was happening. I agree would have been nice if they were forced to duel, I loved the writing but could never put my finger on what it was it was missing but something was definitely not there for me