Sheila's Reviews > Even Swamp Creatures Get the Blues

Even Swamp Creatures Get the Blues by Hilary Goldstein

2039269
Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: cultural, current_issues, paranormal, relationships, scifi-fantasy, short-stories, suspense
Read in November, 2011

I only wish I’d posted my review of Hilary Goldstein’s fascinating set of short stories, Even Swamp Creatures get the Blues in October. But this is a book of dark mystery for any time of year. Just reading the story titles is enough to intrigue, from the down-beat sci-fi horror of They Eat People on Phobos, to sad superhero in A Bird, A Plane, A Man, to the oddly introspective stranger at Ravi’s Funeral… and beyond.
My favorite story comes near the end of the book. Sadness, like a Warm Cup of Cocoa is warmly sensual and scarily alien. That ninth step, where addicts sit down with those they’ve wronged and offer atonement… but this character’s addiction is powerfully tempting and enthrallingly told.
A vampire struggles to find work in a down economy, a father pays the ultimate price for his son. And a wealth of strangely believable characters inhabit these dark pages. Well-written, ranging from gruesome to intriguing to odd, these stories make a great collection to read and reread on a dark night, or a cloudy afternoon.

Disclosure: I received a free ecopy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Even Swamp Creatures Get the Blues.