Judith's Reviews > The Boy in the Moon: A Father's Journey to Understand His Extraordinary Son

The Boy in the Moon by Ian Brown

F_50x66
Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in November, 2011

I picked up this book from the library display. This is a beautifully written memoir by a father of a son with a genetic disease (CFC). It covers the experiences, the challenges, the joy, the science, the disability policies, the spiritual aspects, the moral implications (and lack thereof of all of the above). Unless you experience it yourself, you can't begin to imagine the hardship, and how much things are slowly changing, in the disabled community. Of course most of us would not want to experience this firsthand. This book opened my eyes and my heart, and has educated me.
Towards the end of the book, a thought struck me, and I am writing this mostly for myself, so I can remember this:
The author struggles with Jean Vanier's comment that "you can see God in the face of" a mentally disabled person. He does not see God in his child's face. "He is not a saint, and nor am I" But he misunderstands.... I'm sure Vanier is not implying that the mentally disabled is saintlier or godlier or less sinful than any of us. But Jesus said that "If you do this (kindness: feeding, clothing, loving) to the least of you, you have done it to me." Jesus is the the God who has left the beauty and comforts of heaven, and stooped down to become the suffering servant, who died a humiliating death. But the story does not end there: He is resurrected in victory! This is the hope, and one day our bodies and soul will be perfected because of the God of Love.
May the author take comfort in this promise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy in the Moon.