Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)'s Reviews > Sardoodledom

Sardoodledom by Krishna Dalal

Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011, review-requests
Read in November, 2011

When asked if I wanted to review a picture book titled Sardoodledom, I couldn’t resist. I didn’t even know what the word meant! Of course I wanted to read the book and find out. Sardoodledom is a book about a local Spelling Bee that goes awry, but it’s also more than that. The aspect of the various forms of word play within the book appealed to my inner teacher.
The story itself is short and sweet. There are no winners are losers in the book, which I think appeals to me more than I could imagine. I hate the word “loser.” I guess there could be one loser in the story: the guy that gets a bee sting on his nose certainly didn’t win anything in the book! I thought that was kind of cute.
I couldn’t review a picture book without mentioning the illustrations. They were great! I loved the sketch-like quality the images had. There was also a subtle shading quality to the printed pages that complimented the images perfectly. The kids illustrated in the book matched their “spelling personalities” perfectly. I thought the pictures were delightful and a perfect companion to the text.
As with picture books, there isn’t much of a plot or character development. It was a nicely written children’s story though. If you’re a teacher (like me) you would find this book useful for teaching word play, vocabulary, homophones, or rhymes—even with older kids. It’s certainly geared toward the younger readers, but I would use it with my middle school kids too. I love teaching concepts with picture books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sardoodledom.