Bryan's Reviews > Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate

Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Drew Goddard

Nov 22, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel

Attached original review to wrong issue.

This one was fairly decent, even if Mecha-Dawn was absolutely stupid and the Japanese vampires were laughably incompetent, despite their seemingly taking years and millions of dollars to prepare for their big moment. They went down quite easily.

Oh, also, the Buffy as lesbian plot line seems a little tacked on and lurid. Maybe if Buffy had ever at any point questioned her sexuality, felt confused or expressed a sexual attraction to women, it wouldn't seem so out of place. Instead, out of the blue she sleeps with another slayer. I don't know, maybe the writer felt he needed to resort to cheap tactics to increase readership or hold on to readers. Either way, it felt extremely out of character for Buffy and I don't think it really added to her depth as a character. Felt more like slash fic style garbage, rather than real character development.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie Number 5 is my favorite because it was written by Jane Espenson. Also the story arc about the vampire cats with the short at the end illustrated by Camilla D'errico (I think it's book 4). Also yes, Georges Jeanty rules.

Stephanie Oh! Vampy Cats is in issue 5. Best.