Kelly's Reviews > Little Women and Werewolves

liked it
bookshelves: some-kind-of-boogen, let-me-tell-you-about-it, lit-remix
Read from February 02 to 09, 2014

3.5
This was an enjoyable read. I do think, however, that you have to first enjoy the original Little Women to get into this rendition. Little Women is one of my favorites among the classics, so I could easily accept the "changes" and rework the world of the March sisters into a place where werewolves stalked the streets and sympathizers are beaten and hung up as examples for treating the afflicted like human beings. The tiny town sees plenty of bloodshed, and I think Grand did a good job not incorporating too much. It was a good balance.
The characters are very much the same; and Grand's portrayal of how each reacted and lived with the addition of werewolves was true and accurate to each original. Of course, the biggest change of some of the main characters actually being werewolves (no spoilers here), was excellent. And those interactions and lifestyle changes brought an extra element of suspense to the story. Not only during the first reveal, but throughout as more surface. The twists were fun, and some rather dark. It made up for the few parts that lagged. Fans of this genre will find it fits among the top, (for there are plenty out there that mess up epically).
So, if you enjoy Little Women, I encourage you to read this. I think those who are offended by these pieces fail to see how these monster-mash authors are paying a tribute to its original, not defiling it. Some do it better than others, as mentioned before. Grand does the story justice while adding her creative twist. You can still cheer for Jo and her writing; you can still silently dislike Amy for her selfishness and obsession with wealth; you will likely still feel sore during Beth's illness and its aftermath; and Meg's solid presence during it all as she breaks the ice for the rest of the sisters pulls it together. You still see their growth, struggles, and victories. There are simply a few lycanthropes thrown into the front lines :). Human blood tastes the sweetest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women and Werewolves.

02/02/2014 marked as: currently-reading