Beth's Reviews > The Time of Our Lives: A conversation about America; Who we are, where we've been, and where we need to go now, to recapture the American dream

The Time of Our Lives by Tom Brokaw

Nov 21, 2011

Read in November, 2011

Simply and clearly written, nostalgic about the values and times embodied in my time (1936 - present), Tom Brokaw tries to answer a question for himself "What happened to the America I thought I knew?" The book contains autobiographical material from his growing up and the values it imparted to him. In Part one he discusses the time when he got the fundamental beliefs of his life. In part two he discusses what he learned as he began covering the news in the US. He gives suggestions which might help America and Americans get back on a more cohesive track. I especially like his idea of a United States Academy of Public Service for those who don't go into the military. He felt that the learning men got in the drafted military did permit people to grow up with appreciation and maturation of American values.

Segment three goes into the changes in the world with Internet and how that has affected journalism and newspapers- making eveyone a potential journalist that can contribute to TV news or blogs.

Segment four turns very personal in discussing what grandparents can and should give in the way of values and learning to their grandchildren. A thoughful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time of Our Lives.