Jesse's Reviews > The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen

did not like it
bookshelves: first_reads
Read from November 30 to December 24, 2011

*First Reads Contest Winner*

Here's where I tell you I tried to like the book and maybe I will more if I give it some time, blah blah. No, I pretty much didn't like this book from the first chapter, and it only intensified. Here's why:

The writing style is convoluted. Sentences confuse themselves into forgetting what they were originally talking about. The dialogue is unnatural and forced. NO ONE talks like these characters, who are extremely verbose. No wonder it got a favorable forward from a politician.

Sometimes I felt this book was a vehicle for product placement, and the author an interior decorator rather than someone who was concerned with telling a story.

The plot is booooooorring. There is no suspense, as you know the extremely detailed (and don't forget, boring) plan as well as its perpetrators from pretty much the beginning of the book. There are no twists. As a matter of course, you know how books like these will end. But there was nothing making you guess and that left me with nothing but the hope that it would end, and soon. Besides a few murders, there is relatively little action. This book is mostly just 400 pages of exposition.

Cliches on top of others. For instance, can you guess how the crack IT team is portrayed? If you guessed overly geeky and witty, you win absolutely nothing, because it is exactly like every IT team has been portrayed, ever. And oh the acting puns! Hey did you remember that this guy, who does the bare minimum required of a hero, is a famous actor?! Crazy!

Maybe I'm being too mean. I dunno. I only finished it because I felt obligated as I received this book with the gentleman's agreement to post feedback. I suppose that left me a little bitter.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen.

02/06 marked as: read