Lynsey (A Bookish Life)'s Reviews > Captured by the Highlander

5112089
Nov 21, 2011

liked it
Read in February, 2012

I almost feel like I read two books in one with this novel. There was a really clever twist in the plot half way through, which took me totally by surprise and changed my view of one of the main characters completely. Without giving anything away, there is an element of duplicity going on and when that is revealed, the rest of the novel is completely different.

I have to say I usually pride myself on seeing these things coming a mile off from the little clues we get, and they were there, but I didn't catch it this time. Minus one respect point for me. And once revealed, I really had a strong urge to go back to the beginning and look at this character again and examine every word they said, armed with this new knowledge. But of course, I didn't really do that. I went on and read the other half of the book instead, which unfortunately, wasn't as good. The reveal worked great as a plot device for shock value, but I didn't like the character as much afterwards, so that kind of dulled the effect.

All together, it's a good highlander read, but not a great one. I would read from this author again, but I wouldn't be tempted to re-read this one as I would others.

I give it 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captured by the Highlander.

01/31/2012

message 1: by Jonetta (new) - added it

Jonetta I'm reading In Bed With a Highlander right now and am finally seeing what you and others have swooned about:) Can't wait to read your opinion of this book.

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ LOL @ u guys and ur highlanders!

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) Och, aye ;)

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ Lynsey wrote: "Och, aye ;)"

ohhh thats verra nice....do it some more so i can prepare for Outlander!

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) OMG...Jamie is still my favourite ever Highlander.

message 6: by Jonetta (new) - added it

Jonetta I cannot wait to start tomorrow.

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ it's gonna be a few more days for me. :(

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Do not tempt me with highlander books! Ah! Too much to read already.

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) LOL Tell me about it! There's always room for a good kilt-lifter though ;)