Bookowl1000's Reviews > In Watermelon Sugar

In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan

Nov 21, 2011

bookshelves: 1001

It is a very odd book; often when reading it I would be thinking "What the...?" Throughout I was somewhat puzzled by the world in which they lived, some questions were answered while others were now. Was this a small isolated commune, the way the entire world was, or an example of post apocalyptic survival? I have also wondered if the tigers were tigers as we know them or just another group of people.

This is a book that is thought provoking and leaves you wondering...an excellent alternative to a formulaic plot line. That said, while the world is a very unusual place there are some issues that are universal/timeless, difficulties in a break up and a woman rejected. I did not think of this as a love story.

I would get very bored living in this world. Maybe that is what happened to iBOIL and his followers.

I had never heard of this bok before pulling it out of the box, thus showing the beauty of the 1001 list, it shows us new and different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Watermelon Sugar.