Cecilia Quick's Reviews > Compulsion

Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman

F_50x66
Nov 20, 11

Read in November, 2011

When I read the first Alex Delaware novel, "When the Bough Breaks", way back when, it was innovative, gripping and unique. I'd never read anything like it. And the idea of a psychologist who specialized in child related issues and crimes was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Now the premise is no longer so new or fresh, but it's like a relaible old friend. I almost always know I'll be satisfied after I've read one of Kellerman's books. The plots are always intricate, and they almost always involve children and some sort of twisted family history, all of which I enjoy. I love the relationship between Alex and Milo, his gay cop buddy. Milo, and their friendship, is so fully realized that I'm almost surprised they aren't real. This book wasn't quite as interesting as some of Kellerman's best, but still worth a read. This version was a book on tape, and John Rubenstein narrated. I love his narration, his voice fits the characters and situations perfectly. I'll listen to more, which will help while away my commute.

One gripe-please, can we stop hearing about Robin? The least convincing and dullest love interest in mystery fiction. Alex is rather like David Copperfield (the Dickens book, not the magician), in that he's not so interesting himself so much as interesting things happen around him and to him. Robin is not one of those interesting things. Either make her like Milo's partner Rick-referenced occasionally but not seen-or kill her off.

And by the way, I think it would be great if Rick started pressuring Milo for marriage-that would lead to some interesting character development. And of course I can't wait for the thinly veiled Michael Jackson themed story, or Alex's take on a Penn state type scandel set in LA. It's a pity the real world provides fodder for such stories, but I'd be interested in Kellerman's versions of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compulsion.