Staci Taylor's Reviews > Crossing Stones

F 50x66
Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-lit-class-books
Read in November, 2011

I love the poerty novel writing style! I think it is such an interesting way to tell a story and it keeps the reader engaged because it changes and isn't always stagnant. I really enjoyed this story and how the perspectives of each character was told ad represented. I truly loved this book and the heartfelt story it told.
This book was about two families and how the war affected them in different, but equally hard ways. It is told by three main characters Ollie, Muriel and Emma. They are each represented by different yet connecting things that is the format of the poems in the book. Throughout the story you heard Ollie's perspective and see how he becomes a man, not by going off and going to war, but by coming home and realizing that you don't have to fight in the war to become a man. Emma another main contributer to the story, you see how she thinks and how she plays the typical woman of the time period. And then there is Muriel, who is represented by a river or a creek in the poetry style and how her firecracker attitude doesn't let her fit into the typical woman role of the time period and leads her to go off and pursue a different kind of lifestyle than that which was predetermined for her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing Stones.