Dania's Reviews > Notes of a Dirty Old Man

Notes of a Dirty Old Man by Charles Bukowski

Nov 20, 2011

it was ok
Read from November 20 to 28, 2011

I really don't get what makes Bukowski so profound. Notes of a Dirty Old Man is the ramblings of a drunk and dirty gambler, always looking for his next drink or screw. Bukowski's writing is called Dirty Realism. That pretty much sums this particular book up. This book is a collection of little snippets of stories, based on Bukowski's life. He has no goals or aspirations. He barely works. The only thing he seems to have going for him is a large penis, but in my opinion, he's so dirty, smelly, and disgusting that I wouldn't touch it with my enemy's vagina, just so I could ask her how he was.

It turns out he produced a shit-load (an appropriate term) of work. Well, I am not sure I want to read much more of it. I feel like I could give any local homeless drunk in North Hollywood a typewriter and some paper and he would come up with similar stories. So maybe Bukowski is profound because he was the first to write in this kind of voice. Maybe, he is seen as an anti-hero or an outsider. That's just not enough for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes of a Dirty Old Man.

07/11/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Arnulfo (new)

Arnulfo Thanks for giving it perspective. Some writings are not worthy.

message 2: by Darren (new) - added it

Darren It appears he produced a shit-load of work...Not bad for someone who has no goals or aspirations and barely works?

message 3: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica I agree that not all of his work is a masterpiece, but you don't have to get personal if you come across one that isn't quite as good as the rest. What draws me to Bukowski is that he's honest, doesn't give a fuck and he can be pretty goddamn insightful.

Ismael Galvan You've obviously never read his poetry. This book is better suited at the end of a long time Buk reader.