Tanya's Reviews > Four Sisters, All Queens

Four Sisters, All Queens by Sherry Jones

Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from June 22 to 27, 2012

I am a huge lover of fiction set in medieval Europe, but I did not love Four Sisters, All Queens. Sherry Jones had an interesting idea - focus on four sisters who wore the crowns of England, France, Germany, and Sicily. But I feel she bit off more than she, or perhaps anyone, could chew. To deal with decades of history of such a huge area of Europe is beyond difficult in a narrative setting - especially in just over 400 pages! The way Jones handled it was to give the audience flashes in time, throwing in tidbits of political detail, but not connecting the events in a comprehensive way. I prefer to read historical fiction that educates me.

I can't say that I loved the human side of the story, either. I didn't particularly like any of the characters. Though Jones portrays the sisters as having realized the importance of their sibling ties at the end, their lives show that selfishness and lust for power guided everything they did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Sisters, All Queens.