Trisha's Reviews > Become

Become by Ali Cross

Jun 23, 13

bookshelves: writer-friends-books, fantasy, series, epic
Read from June 11 to 22, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I thought this was a great read, and I will definitely hurry along and pick up the next book in the series. I have to say I'm not hugely into angels and the teachings of the Bible, and this book obviously has a fair bit to do with both. Well, the Bible stuff isn't really that obvious but there's just a lot about sin and all that. I really do hate the idea that people who really don't do things that are all that bad (i.e. being alcoholic - yes, it's bad but it's not like it's murder or something) are candidates for a life in Hell. But that is really MOSTLY beside the point, and despite my aversion to all things Christianity-related when it comes to fiction, I was able to immensely enjoy this book. Particularly as it wasn't just Christianity but Norse myth as well that came into it. I do enjoy a bit of myth. ;)

The story moved nice and quickly, and there was action around every corner. Desi is a kick-arse character and I definitely could envision breathtaking action scenes from a movie version of the story. I loved Michael and thought he was pretty hawt, all things considered. *waggle* And the supporting characters - Desi's version of the "Scooby-gang" as she referred to them - were cool to read about as well. I did think it was a bit funny that Buffy was referenced in a few places. The idea of Satan's daughter being pretty familiar with that TV series amused me and to be honest when I read it I actually went, "HUH?" And remembered that a while back I started re-watching Buffy and now wish that I was still re-watching it, instead of being stuck in a room with an invalid cat most of my home life. ;)

Anyway, I would definitely recommend this book if you like kick-arse action with a fantasy/paranormal/whatever slant, and I will definitely be reading the rest of the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Become.

06/11/2013 marked as: currently-reading