Kevin Fanning's Reviews > The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite

The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 by Gerard Way

Jun 05, 2008

bookshelves: graphic-novel
Read in January, 2008

It's interesting that the editor compares Gerard Way to Mike Mignola, because what I was thinking as I was reading this was: This is exactly what Hellboy SHOULD be but never is.

You get dropped very much into the middle of a complicated story, with only a few blink-and-you'll-miss-them backstory points here and there. It wasn't until my 2nd read through that I a) figured out what was happening, exactly, and b) really liked it quite a lot.

It's not perfect, the ending is a big abrupt and I still have some lingering questions (what exactly does Kraken do?) so I'll be stopping by wikipedia after I finish this, but thumbs up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Adam (new)

Adam i was ultimately unimpressed with this, especially the ending, which was not only too abrupt, but was also one of those annoying retrospectively told ending like the paragraphs that flash up at the end of a film or documentary to tell you what everyone did after - you know "bob went on to serve a full term in office before divorcing his wife. he now drives a taxi in wisconsin"?

It was just such an egregious combination of show don't tell, which was doubly disappointing given the subtletly of the way the story started, and "oh I better wrap it all up now they all died the end".

Plus *SPOILER* the ultraviolence that they ended the monkey guy's life with - all brain-splattery and stuff - left such a bad taste in my mouth that there was no coming back from it at all.

I'd still so buy a monkeyboy action figure, but.

Rick Your comparison to Hellboy, which always dissapoints, is right on.