Bridget's Reviews > Grey Mask

Grey Mask by Patricia Wentworth

Nov 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read in November, 2011

I decided to read this when I kept seeing references to the series, where the detective is a older woman named miss Maud Silver, and she is a knitter.

This is the first book in the series, and begins with Charles Moray returning from four years of "exploring" to take responsibility for his family home after the death of his father. The first night he is home, he goes to visit the house, and inadvertently witnesses and overhears a man wearing a grey mask talking to various other people in the house about "removing" someone as part of their plan - whatever that plan is. One of the people is Charles' ex-fiance, Margaret, and this makes the mystery even more intriguing to him.

The rest of the story covers Charles' efforts to try and figure out who the grey masked man is, and why Margaret is involved. In the meantime, Margaret comes across a missing young heiress who has a mysterious connection to her and to the entire story.

I enjoyed reading this, there was a lot of guessing going on (mostly by me), and the story had some twists that were unexpected. Miss Silver is actually hardly in the story, but she does help move things along, while knitting socks and then an item of baby clothing. I will likely not rush to read later books in the series, but should I come across them, I'd like to read another one or two.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grey Mask.